Estill County Emergency Management Services along with other first responders were on scene around 8:30 Thursday evening at the Dollar General Store in Ravenna for a reported mercury spill.
According to officials with Estill County EMA, representatives from the Kentucky Energy and Enviromental Department were called in and verified someone had spilled mercury in the store. Responders stated it was ‘not a big spill.’
The store, however, took immediate steps to evacuate everyone and remains closed during the ongoing investigation today.
The information we have at this time indicates a man had the substance in the store, and it ended up being spilled in an aisle. The store and authorities, out of an abundance of caution, evacuated the store to make certain there was no danger or harm posed to anyone.
The incident is believed to be accidental, and no charges are expected in the matter.