Over 14,000 Eastern Kentucky University students, 4,000 of which coming from the Central Kentucky region, will be returning to class on Monday, August 15, 2022. Of those, over 3,000 are moving into their residence hall this week in preparation for the start of classes. EKU hosts Big E Welcome, a three-day event focused on ensuring students have a great start to the school year (see schedule below).
Student and Faculty Interview Opportunities:
- Students who were impacted by the flooding in Eastern Kentucky
- Faculty participating in relief efforts including members of EKU’s Paramedicine program
- Faculty and students doing research and studies on water quality in Eastern Kentucky
- Programs and services addressing student needs including mental health and financial hardship
Move-in/Back to School
- Students moving into the residence halls
- EKU provides free textbooks and online tutoring to all undergraduate students through the BookSmart program
- Students who are first-generation college students
- Students going into the nursing program- EKU has a 99% graduation rate for nurses
- Students in the aviation program- EKU is the only 4-year aviation program in the state
- Military and ROTC students (EKU is ranked 3rd in the nation as the Best School for Vets and Best School for Vets Spouses)
Big E Welcome Schedule
Thursday, August 11, 2022
- 8 am – 5 pm Big E Beginnings– Alumni Coliseum
Students and families will arrive and receive their residence hall information, their BookSmart books and then move in.
Friday, August 12, 2022
- 7 pm – 8 pm Big E Kickoff & Welcome Walk– Ravine
The Welcome Walk is an EKU tradition for incoming students. Students will gather in the Ravine and then walk down Lancaster Avenue and go through the Turner Gate, symbolically marking the beginning of their Eastern experience.
- 8 pm – 11 pm Powell Palooza– Powell Plaza & Campus Recreation
This is a welcome event open to all EKU Students. It includes free food and drinks, a rollerskating rink, a DJ, bumper cards, a virtual roller coaster, and more.
Saturday, August 13- Big E Welcome
- 4 pm – 5:30 pm First-Generation Student Reception– 1st Floor Crabbe Library
- 6:30 pm – 8 pm Big E Photo– Roy Kidd Stadium
This annual tradition at EKU captures the Class of 2026 in the shape of the Big E
Sunday, August 14- Big E Welcome