From a letter from YMCA Officials:
At the Telford Community Center YMCA, the safety and well-being of our members, staff, volunteers and the broader Madison County community have always been and will always be a top priority.
We have been diligently monitoring all national and local updates surrounding the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation. In order to best ensure the health of our entire Y community, we have decided to close our facility to the public effective Tuesday, March 17th. We have a tentative reopen date of April 1st, but this will be evaluated after two weeks. Effective close of business today, our location will close and transition to provide emergency school-age childcare to support doctors, nurses, technicians, and medical staff with caring for their children during this crisis. They will not have to worry that their child is in a safe place, as they care for members of our community. For a while, our focus will be supporting our community’s critical response teams. You can help us by continuing to support the Y. We hope this disruption is short and we can all get back to normal soon.
We understand that closing our facility will affect many of our members. Please follow us on social media for our most current updates and for a Work Out of the Day that you can participate in at home.
We understand this is a very concerning situation. The Telford Community Center Y has been a pillar of the Madison County community for more than 30 years, throughout both good and challenging times. The decision to close our facility was made to best ensure the safety of everyone in our community.
During this closure, you can expect regular updates from our website and our social media channels: Facebook and Instagram.
We are asking everyone to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and take their own measures to protect themselves, including not putting themselves in situations with large crowds or where they come in close contact with others, staying home if they do not feel well, frequently washing their hands with soap and water and covering their coughs and sneezes.
We will continue to work with the health department and local physicians to determine what other actions, if any, would be prudent on our part and when it will be safe to reopen our facilities.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this evolving and challenging situation. We look forward to returning to business as usual as soon as possible.
Erin E Jones President/ CEO