A Cautionary Fourth of July Tale when Playing with Fireworks


When sparks fly next week, it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of Independence Day. However, it is always important to remember that accidents happen…unfortunately frequently.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, approximately 12,900 firework-related injuries were treated in emergency departments in one year recently.

One of these was here in Madison County, where a young man was playing with roman candles with his friends when he quite literally shot his eye out.

Adam Burns of Madison County came to WBONtv to tell his story, and says he is still in and out of the doctor before he has to get a prosthetic eye to remedy his injury from June 28th of last year.

Adam tells his story, saying that the pain was excruciating and he could feel the gunpowder and sparks behind his eyelid as his friend drove him as fast as possible to the emergency room following the accident.

He says that a year later the complications continue, and he wishes he could take back that moment that at the time seemed carefree in the spirit of the fourth.

Adam says he is willing to be an example to those that are lighting off fireworks at their homes or farms across Central Kentucky, and warns that all precautions should be taken or else they would risk lifelong complications such as the ones he is still enduring.